23 October 2010

A Double Portion

The weeks that rest at the change from August to September here in Ireland are stained purple from the wealth of wild blackberries.  I was overjoyed to not miss the picking as I detailed here in a previous post.  Now, at the end of October those days are gone.  All that remains of the wild hedges are the dried nubs of a bounty spent, with just the odd berry remaining as a reminder such as I encountered on this day.  This is just the way nature works, and yet God surprises.



 Instead of their shame my people will receive a double portion, and instead of disgrace they will rejoice in their inheritance; and so they will inherit a double portion in their land, and everlasting joy will be theirs.   Isaiah 61:7-9 (NIV)

I went for a walk down the country lane near my friend Tania's house.  Despite the fact that October is almost over, we carried containers with us as she had reported seeing a second batch of blackberries ripe for the picking.  She had already picked many earlier in the year and the plants seemed to be finished, yet here we were with a new crop ready for the harvest.
Tania picking the second crop of blackberries this year.

We reveled in the sunshine as we collected from the prickly boughs.  We were amazed how much bigger the berries from this crop were than the first.  It was also shocking that they seemed so untouched by the snails and spiders that often infest the bushes in the earlier months.  The sheer volume of berries available, and even still forming was so overwhelming, we laughed as we went along.


 With the Ireland hard hit by the global economic crisis, folk know too well the pains of trials.  Certainly the Israelites knew the oppression of their times as well having endured war and slavery.  But Isaiah brought a message of freedom from the Lord that extends to us today through Christ.  I am overwhelmed by a God who would go to such lengths for an undeserving me.  While He gave us salvation, He also promises everlasting JOY!  The reason is simple, and is the same reason Christ came, because He so loved (John 3:16).  Didn't we see this connection with love when Elkanah gave Hannah the double portion (1 Sam 6)!  It wasn't earned.   It was honestly a gift of love.  And isn't this just like God's grace.

I have two full litres of the most gorgeous berries now, ready for cobblers and jam and all sorts of goodness to last me through the winter.  Even though the cold is inevitable, prices are still high and jobs are still few,  I am reminded with this second crop, this double portion,  that God has given us the inheritance of His kingdom against which these trials cannot stand.

May we celebrate the freedom He has brought us through Christ and 
may we go forth with the JOY of His promise fulfilled!
This post is linked with the lovely folk at Spiritual Sundays!

11 comments:

  1. Lovely post! Blackberries into October. Now that's a blessing! Enjoy them.
    Thanks for sharing this Spiritual Sunday.
    ~Whidbey Woman, Whidbey Island, WA, USA
    http://ronsroad2recovery.blogspot.com
    http://wildaboutwhidbey.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome thanks for posting...they look soooo good

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum.. those berries look so good. I've never had blackberries but love all the other kinds so these must be good too. They look so pretty when bunched all together. Your post....was great. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a blessing to be able to pick those yummy berries. I always wanted to live some where that I could just start picking fruit from the side of the road, or walk down a street lined in lilacs.OK I shared a couple of my silly little dreams hear thank-you for indulging me:) God is so good in so many ways.
    God Bless,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  5. those berries look oh so yum...what a beautiful creation of our mighty God!! living in a city for years now and i actually haven't seen berries like that for many years now... makes me think of my hometown!

    Blessings,
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh do they look good! We have had a hard frost here in Wisconsin...now we will have to start the long wait until spring!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a joy and pleasure to visit your blog, and to read your thoughts on God's word, I have been truly blessed.

    I also enjoy blackberries, probably one of my favorite fruits, and to think two crops in one year, God is so good.
    I especially enjoyed your photos too. Thank you for sharing.
    Thank you for coming by and for taking the time to leave me a sweet comment.
    Blessings,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I love blackberry cobbler. Now you've made me hungry. Thank you for sharing this delightful post with us on Spiritual Sundays. God has supplied us with so many delightful things in this world. If he has made this world so wonderful, I can just imagine what the next one will be like. No, I guess I can't really even imagine it. That's what makes it so wonderful.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a lovely post. Those berries look delicious too. We all benefit so much from Spiritual Sunday's. Have a blessed week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Double portion has a new meaning for me with these sweet boys growing inside me. I accept it from the Lord while onlookers scoff and say we have "too many", I rejoice in our blessings! We are blessed of the Lord, and thankful for His provision for us in these children!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius, call/whats-App Contact Number +918929509036 via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

I review for BookSneeze