![]() |
| Painting by Hiroko Sakai |
Yesterday a couple of friends and I drove the few hours to Dublin to check out a car that I was considering purchasing. I am not one to rush into decisions like this and a lot of prayer had gone into the whole process. The night before, though, I caught myself panicking a bit. Would I know if this was the right car or not? Would I get suckered and have used God's money irresponsibly? If it was no good, would I have wasted both my and my friends' time and paid the costly petrol prices for nothing? My emotions were all over the place and in the end I just had to pray, to ask God that He would do as He has done before, giving me that sense in my spirit of a definite yes or no.
Often, especially as Christians, our desire to do what is right becomes the stress that holds us back from doing anything. We can easily begin to over-think things, like we are playing a game of chess and somehow have to figure in all the possibilities and ramifications of the each move, preventing us from actually moving. We get so lost in our own attempts to assses,
our emotions begin to dominate our choices
and we either rush into something or retreat entirely.Over the last few weeks I have talked about the REST God has been bringing to my body and the REST He calls us to spiritually, but what can lasso our emotions and bring them back into proper order, bring them into REST?
Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.
--Phillipians 4:6
When we become anxious we are letting our emotions dictate to us based on what we perceive with our own eyes. One examination of the word used here reveals a sense of being tossed to and fro, an emotional unrest. In this verse, we are again being called to REST, this time in our emotions. As Christians we know we are supposed to pray and trust God, but when our emotions get the best of us, it is hard to really let go. If we read the verse again however there is something more mentioned than just the anxiety and the prayers; there is thanksgiving. When we give thanks we are not just glorifying God, but speaking to our own heart about His faithfulness. When we are struggling to find hope for the big things, we begin to thank Him for the small things. Somehow our faith builds and we get so caught up in His goodness that it is easier to do that which He called us to do, to TRUST Him. We move so much into Him that our emotions are restored to a proper functioning order and we have peace, even if the situation still seems uncertain.
Thankfulness brings about emotional REST.
We arrived safely in Dublin, meeting up with a friend from our sister church there with a background with auto mechanics. Upon investigating the car, I just had this gut feeling it was a no, but I waited as my friends checked over the engine. My friend noticed details that were questionable and then more evidence that the car had been in a major crash. When the salesman asked why we weren't buying it, we simply said we didn't want a car that had been previously wrecked. He asked my friend to show him, after which he got very rude calling us liars and asking us in not so polite words to leave. During the whole instance I had total peace without even my emotions getting riled at the behavior, because I had already begun to thank God for answering my prayer for giving me that definite answer for which I had prayed. I continued thanking Him for things like the bonding between my friends during the journey, for the gift of service from my friend in Dub and his teaching us key things to enable us to check engines ourselves. In fact, by the end of the day, I had been thanking God to such a degree that I was so full of faith,
I was experiencing peace
about other bigger emotionally fueled issues that I will face in this coming year. I may not have come home with a car, but I was at rest and it didn't even seem to matter where the day or petrol costs went. I can trust God with these things.Are you ready to find rest? In those toughest, most emotional times, will you begin to thank Him? If you cannot thank Him yet for specific things regarding the situation because of emotional wounds, can you at least thank Him for the little things? Just thank Him, and begin to experience His REST.



"..by the end of the day, I had been thanking God to such a degree that I was so full of faith, I was experiencing peace..." -- such a great example of "Thankfulness brings about emotional rest." and how it builds our faith. Thank you; I love this!
ReplyDeleteWonderful! Thanks for sharing this (followed the link to your blog from Bonnie's Faith Jam)
ReplyDeleteIt is such a good reminder to be thankful!
I find it usually takes effort to align myself in that grateful posture, but once we're there, it's like healing balm of Gilead..
Oh wow what a wonderful evidence of emotional rest. I struggle with anxiety and this is a familiar verse! Thank you for the wonderful post and reminder!
ReplyDeleteA great reminder of the need for "thankfulness" but with a highlight on the peace and trust in the Lord that "thankfulness" brings.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed the journey and the inspiration.
Blessings,
Janis
Beautiful post! I like what you saida bout thankfulness bringing about emotional rest. I have been feeling some of that emotional unrest lately and this has been a good reminder for me. God bless.
ReplyDeleteAmen! Really enjoyed reading this. We almost bought a car that had been in a major wreck, also. We are so thankful we took it to a mechanic first. So glad that we can enter the rest of God and sit under the shadow of his wings! Happy Spiritual Sunday :)
ReplyDeleteThe true test of the heart of a saint?~~ Can he find peace in Him while dealing with a car salesman! :) He is always faithful.
ReplyDeleteI LOVE this! Buying a car is so stressful. Buying it as a steward of others' money adds heaps of stress onto it---by ourselves. (I've come to doubt that they would be as stressed as we are). I love the way God answered not only your prayer about the car but your prayers about the time and the money for travel and your friends' time, too. This is a beautiful post. I hope it becomes a large stone of remembrance for you.
ReplyDelete"Somehow our faith builds and we get so caught up in His goodness that it is easier to do that which He called us to do, to TRUST Him."
ReplyDeleteBeautiful words steeped in truth. I love how praise can change so much.
And thankful that you were saved from an unsafe care. Great is His faithfulness to those who seek it.
Praising Him,
Pamela
awesome...inspiring "I can trust God with these things." So grateful to have Him in our corner....
ReplyDeleteThis is hard to do when you need something or want. Trust in the Lord,yes!
ReplyDeleteBlessings,
Ginger
Hi Dunlizzie,
ReplyDeleteI remember reading your post on Rest and saying to God and myself, "trust Him with my life, no matter what happens."
It is easy to say those words when my emotions aren't scrambling around for my next chess move, but rest really does require me to have faith in God. In every situation, I can convey my prayers and petitions with thanks to a loving God who hears and loves me.
Blessings and peace.
MTJ
Before I even read the words, I was drawn to the creativity of the way it was posted.
ReplyDeleteThen I read it - and I was soothed.
It's so difficult when you're in the midst of an emotional 'crisis' to remember that REST is so very necessary and a Lack of rest can exacerbate the crisis.
(Coming off a month of emotional upheaval- I can testify that Rest is very important.)
Excellent post.