29 October 2010

Choup!

Well the rain has finally settled in and Ireland is feeling, well... more Irish.  I had some dried chickpeas so I decided to make one of my all-time favorite soups to warm myself up.  It's another easy one-pot wonder that I first tasted at Lorita's house shortly a couple of years ago.   I don't know if we even make it the same way, since I was in such a rush to try it at home that I forgot to get a recipe or even a name.  So this is my take on it.  I call it Choup because frankly it's easier than saying Chickpea Chorizo Chili Soup, besides it's more fun.  Doesn't it just beg for the exclamation point!  Choup!
It's not the greatest shot, but I was already eating when I remembered to snap this.  I didn't want it to get cold trying for the perfect pic!  Can you blame me?
Try it for yourself:

Soak dried chickpeas overnight, drain and rinse.  You can use canned chickpeas if you want to skip the soaking, just be sure to drain and rinse.

In a large soup pot put about 1-2 TBSP olive oil and turn to medium heat.
          1      Onion, thinly sliced
          3-4   Carrots, diced
          1      Potato, large diced   OR   1/2  Turnip (aka Rutabaga or Swede) diced
                  Garlic
                  Salt
Cook together until onions are sweated.  Then add:
          about 2/3 C  Chorizo, diced 
                  or however much you want really - I probably used just over a half cup
          about 3 C or 2 tins Chickpeas, well drained and rinsed
Stir together and cook for just a few minutes.  Then add:
          1 Tin of diced tomatoes 
                  I cheated with some halved cherry tomatoes and 2TBSP tomato paste 
          Water - have it come up a couple inches higher than just covering 
          Cayenne Chili Pepper (optional)
          Salt & Pepper  to taste
Cover and cook until chickpeas are tender.

This is the perfect soup because it is warm, hearty, and full of flavor despite being so simple.  The carrots and tomatoes bring a lot of sweetness, the chili brings some heat, while the chorizo adds a saltiness and fills the soup with its smoked paprika flavor.  The chickpeas also make it really filling.

Go on, try it.  Don't forget to tell me what you think!

1 comment:

  1. OH MY GOODNESS that looks DELICIOUS!!! I haven't had soup with chickpeas but it looks and sounds really good! :)

    Happy Weekend

    ReplyDelete

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

I review for BookSneeze