We had two wild blackberry bushes when I was a child and we lived out on acreage south of Tulsa. Each year, these two bushes produced enough for a really fantastic cobbler. It was when we lived there that my grandmother came to stay with us as she was in the final stages of pancreatic cancer. An avid baker, she would spend the day making coffee cakes and other treats. She made so many in fact, that there were still some in freezer when she finally went on to meet the Lord face to face. One of my memories of her during this time was an evening when she made a blackberry cobbler from the wild ones that mom, sis and I had picked. She made it properly, not with some cheap pastry, but with real drops of batter making sugared biscuit cobbles across the top of the dish. Everytime I eat blackberries I think of her.
I was in the shop earlier today and saw a pack of 100 grams or about 8 large blackberries costing just over 3 euro which is about 4 USD! I had time and my friend's car, so I grabbed another friend and we went to enjoy God's bounty for free. National roads are public land and are lined with wild blackberries free to everyone. We went to An Rinn (also called Ring) which is a Gaeltacht area just a minutes away with quiet roads, fresh sea air and an incredible view.
It was so peaceful there and there were loads of fresh fruit. The few cars that passed would wave as they went by us. I am sure they had taken their share as well! The only sounds were the waves just below and the cows up in the pasture ahead. It was as it should be.
We weren't the only ones enjoying the blessing! This snail seemed pretty happy. Can you blame it! Since we had gone in the evening, we picked until the sun went down, each getting about a gallon size container packed full. Our hands were completely stained from picking. But at home, I've got the berries washed and ready to be frozen so I can enjoy them in smoothies, cobblers, yogurt and on pancakes. Thank you Lord, for this great bounty!
![]() |
| The Price |
![]() |
| The Prize |






No comments:
Post a Comment