It was a gift from my father when I went off to college, my grandpa's guitar. He got it when my grandfather died and had since stopped playing it himself. I loved the history, the mellow sound and the musty smell of the instrument, but struggled with my own deficiencies as I taught myself. These deficiencies, of course, were a natural result of lack of practice and diligence. Despite this, I have always enjoyed playing and have tried to keep it up to a certain degree, but have never become as proficient as I felt a guitar of this quality deserved. So the sound has remained muffled, shared only with close friends or with such a quiet strum that only I could hear as a result of the lack of confidence. My precious gift too often collected dust.
Since becoming worship leader at DCF almost two years ago, I have led vocally. At times we have had a full worship team and other times just one on the guitar (def not me!). I have even led a few times a capella when we haven't had any musicians. Worship comes from the heart, not the expression. We worship in spirit and in truth and God is glorified. This is why when the couple who play guitar and drum left for holiday in the States, I didn't worry... until I realized what could potentially be done.
But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong. Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.
2 Corinthians 12:9-11
As a church family, we didn't need a guitar to bring God praise, but I knew there was a gift God had given that was going unused. As a leader, I want to encourage others to use the gifts God gave them so that we as a body will bear fruit. I began to practice the guitar. How many times do we forsake the things God has given us because of fear and insecurities? True worship however means taking the focus off ourselves and putting it on Christ where it belongs. For me, this was about sacrificing perfectionism in order to bring the sacrifice of praise. In that vulnerability, Christ revealed His strength and we worshiped.
My prayer is that ye will be encouraged to dust off the gifts He gave you for His glory. May ye put aside fears and insecurities and allow God to work in those weaknesses. Today, when my fingers stumbled across the strings, I kept going back to the words resonating from my own mouth and became overcome with joy to praise Him. "You are my strength when I am weak... You are my all in all." It was a spiritual stretching for me for sure, but a sweet stretching. His grace really is sufficient.
This post is linked up with the lovely folk at



Such a good post. We do all have gifts that the Lord has given us... talents we have not yet tapped into or have not fully submitted to God. I do so appreciate folks like you who share their music with others. Merry Christmas!
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful post. Have a blessed Christmas.
ReplyDeleteHi Dunlizzie,
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing such an honest, open post, along with a beautiful song.
"My prayer is that ye will be encouraged to dust off the gifts He gave you for His glory." -- Praise the Lord God Almighty!
Sitting in my closet is my tenor sax that waits for me to pick it up and practice. At this moment, I have no desire to practice; reminding myself that I am already extended. I do hope that one day, I will rediscover the passion to play.
I will remember your words my friend, "How many times do we forsake the things God has given us because of fear and insecurities?"
Blessings and peace.
MTJ
Thank you for being so candid. I encourage you to continue to enter into the presence of the Lord. God isn't looking for skilled fingers that can strum flawlessly. He wants a heart that can worship Him in spirit and in truth. God bless you!
ReplyDeleteGood for you! This is how I feel about my photography...stumbling around, learning everything I can, not practicing nearly enough, all because I believe He's placed this love in my heart and has a plan in mind.
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by. =)
this is so beautiful..thanks for posting this...for your words..and your encouragement.
ReplyDeleteThank you for this post...it helps all of us to put aside our own feelings of inadequacy, etc. and focus on glorifying God. That is what He wants from us. Congrats on your accomplishments for Him...have a blessed Christmas.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful encouraging post. I love the song and the video.
ReplyDeleteHave a blessed Merry Christmas.
Charlotte
I'm gooey. That's sweet.
ReplyDeleteAnd I'm a bit convicted.
My keyboard and I don't often see eye to eye on things. it is a place of struggle for me.
Your stretching is sweet, indeed.
Blessings!
PS - Thanks for the comment on my blog today. I needed to hear it. I love you, too.