We are in the midst of a freak cold snap here in Ireland, so anything that warms the body is appealing. So for some variety (and warmth!), I decided a white chili would be ideal. Afterall, it's turning white outside. Why not inside too!
Since this chili is made with turkey and uses a white sauce instead of a beef/tomato combo, I didn't need to have such a robust bean as the kidney bean. I chose butter beans which would suit the milder flavors. You could use any white bean really. Just because it's white chili doesn't mean it ALL has to be white, so why not also have a tin of mixed beans for color and flavor? The red pepper is also a bit sweeter than green, so I chose this to complement the poultry. I also don't know if many folk put mushrooms in their chili, but I love them in almost anything, so why not put them in too!
I started by sweating the onions, garlic, chili and mushrooms in a tsp of oil in the bottom of my soup pan. I'm all about one-pot wonders.
Then I made a roux. I added a TBSP of each butter and flour right into the mix with the sweated veg and slowly added small bits of milk stirring vigorously as I did. You'll see the sauce begin to thicken straight away. I'm sure most folk would use turkey stock instead of milk to thicken, but I haven't yet made my stock. So milk worked fine and still got thick. I also added salt and a good bit of cumin.
It may look meek and mild, but don't be fooled. This chili can pack some heat which is just perfect for this white weather. And it used up some of those leftovers! Yipee tai yai yo!


Hi Dunlizzie,
ReplyDeleteI've never heard of White Chili (and I grew up in Chicago)! Unfortunately, I'm allergic to cheese, but I'll ask my wife to help me try this recipe (without the cheese).
The current temperature here is 29 degrees (Celsius).
I'm hungry for chili!
Blessings and peace my friend.
MTJ
could you come home to tulsa and fix some????? yum, looks so good Holly. love you and miss you . mom
ReplyDelete