"For we are to God the aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing. To the one we are the smell of death; to the other, the fragrance of life."
2 Corinthians 2:15-16
I was desperately looking for a dress for an upcoming event. With only two weeks remaining, I had searched my small town and even spent a few hours going to all the shops in Waterford City. Those who know me well know that this is some kind of torture. I am definitely not a shopper. My mom finds great humor in the fact that my flat is actually located on the top floor of our town's mall. In recent years I have become more adept and can actually count a few times where I enjoyed the experience. This has not been one of those times. The main challenges have been time, budget, and difficult sizing.
So this week, when my Friday obligations were suddenly removed I decided to go to a mall in Cork. Since the drive is one hour each way and I didn't come up with the plan until three in the afternoon, I knew time would be tight. But upon walking into the centre, I felt the Lord say I would leave with my dress.
The first shop I went into had some gorgeous high quality options, but they all cost up to two times more than my budget. I asked a saleslady there which shops she would recommend considering this. After an hour, I had been in every shop with no success. I decided that if I were to spend more than planned it should at least be high quality so I began to head back to the first shop. But the conflict about the prices came in my head and I turned to leave altogether. Finally reminded by the the feeling of the Lord on my way in, I turned back around to the shop again. Anybody watching me would have for sure wondered what this crazy girl was doing!
I saw the lady who had helped me before back by the fitting rooms so I told her about my shopping frustrations. She took me around the floor pulling dress after dress that might work before going with e to try them on. It was then that I learned she had already clocked out. She stayed and chimed in on each dress until I had found the perfect dress. The ladies on shift stepped away for a moment and she came up to me, whispering. "The ladies think we are friends so I can give you my employee discount of 25%."
I was taken back and refused saying I couldn't possibly. She looked to see if the girls were still out of ear shot. This time she reached out and touched my arm. She was trembling. She said, "You're a Christian, right?" I said yes. She replied, "I have to do this. Let me do this."
I had not mentioned anything about God so I was a bit surprised. Knowing many of the churches in Cork I quietly asked her which she attended, but she shook her head, hand still trembling said, "None. I am a failed Christian."
In my heart I begged God for the right words, none came so I didn't speak. The other workers came back. We bought the dress together, me using her discount. I wrote my name and church on a paper with a pastor friend's church in Cork on the back. She almost started to cry. "That's where my ex-husband goes." I mentioned some other churches, which she acknowledged as knowing personally, hands still trembling. We walked out together.
I tried to thank her again and again, but she wouldn't have it. I told her how she'd saved my life, but she acted like it was the other way around. With nothing left to say we each turned to go our own ways. She continued to tremble and then paused just before leaving to say. "Wait, the final price almost even managed to fit your budget didn't it?" Actually it had come two quid under budget.
The scripture in Corinthians reminds us that no matter where we are or what we are doing, people will notice us. Sometimes God just wants us to be there, living the life. We carry the presence of God in us by the power of the Holy Spirit, this aroma of Christ that speaks to those in need. Let us remember this, and move forward with the full confidence of Christ in us. It is He who transforms lives. We trust and obey.
This post is linked with the lovely folk at



Hi Dunlizzie,
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing this moment with the saleslady. When I read her words, "I have to do this. Let me do this", I wondered what prompted her. Perhaps it is as you say, "no matter where we are or what we are doing, people will notice us."
Let us pray for her. She has blessed you, so now let us look to Christ, asking Him to reach the pain inside her heart; guiding her to a local church that will embrace her with God's love, grace and kindness.
Blessings and peace.
MTJ
WOW! I love it when God works so awesomely and intimately! It gave me goose bumps (or as one pastor puts it, joy bumps) to read how God worked in both your life and hers. I'm joining wiht you and MTJ in praying for you and her and praising God!
ReplyDeleteI loved this post. Unlike you, I do enjoy shopping - always have. But loved reading this special post. God was definitely in it. For both of you. This is really an uplifting faith building story. Thank you for sharing it.
ReplyDeleteBlessings,
Charlotte
Yes, MTJ, I wondered the same thing, and as small as a moment it was I remember clearly her shaking hands and her focused eyes, how she said "failed" regretably as if wounded by the thought. I can't speculate, but it was undeniable that God is working in her and maybe that surprised her. I prayed the whole of the drive back. I continue even now, and am thankful that you are joining me in praying. I believe God wants to show her His love and the restorative and healing nature of His grace. Thanks MTJ.
ReplyDeleteThank you also Kaye for your prayers. I love that prayer has no geographic boundaries.
God bless :)
Charlotte, thanks for the encouragement. God definitely was in it. Thanks for stopping by :)
ReplyDeleteWonderful post. I wonder how many opportunities I miss in a day because I am just not paying attention. Thanks so much for sharing it.
ReplyDeleteHave a blessed Sunday!
What a beautiful write ... He leads, we must follow.
ReplyDeleteTY for your sweet visit today, I am following you.
My family is from County Wexford, Blackwater.
Have a great week!
TFN ~ Hugs, Marydon
I am here by way of comfy denim's laundry pile, and lookee, I know Marydon too!
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful moment...Your faith...her stepping out...I think there is more to this story...
This is a wonderful story ~love how God brought the two of you together meeting each of your needs..WOW
ReplyDeleteHolly, I have tears. I love you, and I love what God is doing in you and through you. So neat. So happy to be a part of it.
ReplyDeletewe need to be so aware that we represent Christ wherever we go. Sometimes when we least expect it, we are surprised to find His grace shining through us to those he has so divinely placed in our path. It is so wonderful to have those encounters. Holly, you radiate His love, mercy and grace to all around you. What an exciting experience.I believe God will follow through what He has begun in her. rejoicing with you, mom
ReplyDeleteloved reading this. He really does look out for us....thanks and I'm with you....shopping is not my favorite either. ☺
ReplyDeletefirst time at your blog. stopped over from faith barista's top ten. i love this story. have you ever seen the sales person again?
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by! I don't often go to Cork because it is over an hour drive one-way. If I do go, it is usually for some specific function. So I have not seen her again yet, although I am reminded to pray for her each time I go into Cork. Sometimes we get to hear the end of the story, sometimes we don't. Our job is to trust and obey, and pray. What I know is that God was doing something in her that was beyond anything I could have said or done. I do know that by posting this here, she is probably getting more prayers than she would imagine. Don't you love how God can use things like blogs to unite His people in His purposes?
ReplyDeleteThis is so touching to me.... I hate shopping with a passion. I can see why this is your favorite post. Thanks for posting it with faithbarista's top ten.
ReplyDelete