Kevin just wanted to know why. Why would we give tea and coffee for free to people at these odd hours of the night, why we wouldn't discriminate amongst the rowdy crowd from the club, and why we were so patient with folk who maybe had a little more to drink than maybe they had intended. It was a thought so unbelievable that it kept him in deep conversation with me for hours while we talked and served. People can't seem to get past the answer, that it is about love, pure and simple. People assume there must be some catch. My athiest friend who has been helping serve each week chimes in, "I've been with them for months and still haven't figured it out. Trust them, it is that simple."
So now it is 5:30 am on Saturday morning and I am just getting into bed, after writing this of course. My legs feel like the cold is coming from within and radiating out, which makes my blankets feel useless, but they will help block out the light soon enough which makes them important. My body is aching and my brain is struggling to figure out how few words I can say this all in so I can go on and get to sleep.
Why do I do this?
Because He first loved me. (I John 4)
It really is that simple.
The truth is that we don't need tea and coffee for this. Just imagine how much our communities would change if we all started living our faith publicly by simply showing God's love indiscriminately. We are talking about the transforming power of Christ here. Just see what He can do through our willing and surrendered hearts. I dare us all.
This post is linked with the lovely folk at



the love of God is greater far than pen or tongue can ever tell, It goes beyond the highest star, and reached to the lowest hell. thankyou for sharing that love in a real and "touchable" way. We should all take up your challange or dare....Praying for your continued strength, health. I am so proud of you. mom
ReplyDeleteWhy do I do this?
ReplyDeleteBecause He first loved me. (I John 4)
How cool is this. loved reading this post b/c your heart shines...
this is so very inspiring... loved it!!
ReplyDeleteBlessings,
Ruth
Hi Dunlizzie,
ReplyDeleteWhen I read, "It really is that simple...", I realized that far too often we overthink and complicate things when simplicity is all that's needed.
The simple answer to the question, "Why do I do this" is, "Because He first loved me."
Blessings and peace.
MTJ
Love this post,so true.
ReplyDeleteMuch Blessings,
Virginia
Beautiful post....beautiful heart you have for God. God bless. Happy Thanksgiving!
ReplyDeleteFantastic. Sounds like you have a lot of things figured out that some never do. I'm thankful for people like you. I'm thankful that you take the time to share your experiences with us.
ReplyDeleteBlessings,
Charlotte
OH lovely post and truly a giving heart of love. Blessings to you! Thanks for the comment on my blog. DE
ReplyDeleteThat was such a powerful message. Have a blessed Thanksgiving.
ReplyDeleteWe all should be more like this.
ReplyDeleteGod Bless,
Ginger
Because He loved me First...Perfect!
ReplyDeleteand I know that God must be working with that young man, opening doors to his heart...because so many people don't ASK why...at least, they don't seem to do that very often here in America. Getting a person to ask that question, to open the door to the possibility of God's Love is not only HUGE, it is beautiful.
And it means you must be doing it right.