09 May 2017

The Essential Amish Cookbook: Everyday Recipes from Farm and Pantry



Author of many Amish Cookbooks, Lovina Eicher brings things back to basics in her new release, The Essential Amish Cookbook.

Cooking and baking is something I do because I enjoy.  And because I need to eat.  And because I like to eat tasty things.  I'm fortunate because I learned how to do these things from an early age.  I do however realise that this kind of homemade is becoming a lost art.  Younger generations have grown up without the basics and therefore are overwhelmed by the more daring or involved recipes.  A brief scroll through social media reveals a pattern of quick, minimal ingredient recipe videos folk are saving, pinning, and studying.

This is not the book for those who are searching for more advanced cuisine or groundbreaking technique.  It is a fantastic tool for anyone who needs a place to begin. This book keeps to the Amish idea of keeping life simple and provides simple recipes that will serve as a proper foundation for years of cooking.  Do not be mistaken to think that simple means bland.  From zesty combinations like the Pea and Cheese Salad, to the classic homespun Pot Roast, these recipes are made to taste good.  I was actually a little surprised to see ingredients like Velveeta and instant pudding mix in some recipes, but again that would appeal to our generation of convenience.  I mean, if we have it why not use it.

I especially like that this includes several desert recipes, as I love Amish baked goods.  Eicher even includes seemingly foolproof bread recipes.  She also includes two additional sections titled "Church Meals" and "Wedding Meals."  These highlight special dishes for the occasions while sharing details about the Amish culture at these special times.  Beautiful photographs and personal tidbits strewn throughout make this a personal book.

Although some recipes seem intuitive and redundant to the seasoned cook, I like how she doesn't assume the new cook would already have some basics and so she includes those recipes.  In that sense it truly is a book of essentials.  It is a fantastic tool for anyone who needs a place to begin and would be a great gift for those millennial just heading out into independent living.


1 comment:

  1. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius, call/whats-App Contact Number +918929509036 via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

I review for BookSneeze