I can remember feeling insecure about being fat as early as elementary school. For me, beauty was all about weight and I would go back and forth with feeling negative about myself and then combating the feelings by "proving" that I could be valued for things other than beauty - strength, for example, or intelligence. I could do many things and as I grew older, I would pursue all of them to prove I was talented and yet I still always felt like a mediocre version of the friends around me who excelled at those things and were beautiful on top of that. In all those Nancy Drew books I loved to read, I was just the pudgy friend Bess.
It bothered me, because I knew who I was on the inside. I had in fact, been a Christian longer than I had the insecurity, and I knew I had purpose, vision and gifts. But those things only made me seem even more like an oddball and I longed for social acceptance. My insecurity about my body helped serve as a strong foundation on which to pile wounds of rejection. I would come to blame it for my singleness and awkwardness in groups among other things, especially when even other Christians would encourage mere aesthetic remedies to those "problems."
Looking back now at pictures of my youth, I can see without the filter of insecurity; I actually was normal sized. I certainly wasn't small and thin, but that had more to do with this broad German frame than any extra padding. Having been born five weeks early and deathly ill, I sometimes wonder if my large birth weight was part of God's saving grace in the fight for survival. But the very thing that may have been a blessing, I abused and called a curse. I struggled with unhealthy habits and became probably the first girl who, through skipping meals, actually gained weight. I damaged my metabolism and have spent the last fifteen years working to restore it.
Yet here, now, at what the ladies from my mum's church would call my "fluffiest," I feel more beautiful than I ever did. I may not be a good weight, but I am working on that, and my blood tests reveal that all my counts are actually better than normal. That's not why I feel this way. I feel beautiful because I know who I am in Him. That girl hidden inside of me; she wasn't made to fit in with the world. She was made to be set apart, as each of us are, for a purpose that glorifies Him.
Of course I still get those panicky moments when I go to my closet before a special occasion, or that little cringe of disappointment when I see a photograph that shows my reality a little too well. Yes, I still struggle with deep wounds related to all this. I am human after all, tied to earth with this bag of bones, big bag that it is. But God is a healer and through all this, He continuously speaks to me about my identity in Him. He says I am beautiful. I am fearfully and wonderfully made. I am the apple of His eye. I am a woman of value. I am His daughter.
He delights in me... and none of it is because of my body size.
This post was inspired today after reading a post at Beta Christian that was talking about the importance beauty plays in our society. I was instantly flooded with loads of memories, but in them, I felt a breath of God's encouragement as they came. To narrow down my feelings and find focus was difficult and I feel like there might be a few more posts lingering in me with which I can dive deeper into this topic. Since I already gave the rawest of raw in my February post about relationships, I should have no fear in bringing this to the surface. In the meantime, I pray you might be encouraged to take a look at who God says you are, as there is so much freedom there.


Thanks for posting this. It's somehting I have struggled with as well, all through Jr High and High School on...
ReplyDeleteSometimes it really is a daily challange to accept the look in the mirror.
But most often those are on days where I'm not 'feeling Him' so I understand totally what you mean in all this.
Oh and skipping meals or starving yourself often causes weight gain in anyone (unless you contiue to starve yourself) because your body holds tight to the next meal or more because it worries it's not going to get another one.
Again great post!
Thanks,
Leanna
That was my struggle too. In fact, I believe it effects me to this day deeper than I think it does. I have blamed and continue to blame every instance of "rejection" on my weight.
ReplyDelete"My insecurity about my body helped serve as a strong foundation on which to pile wounds of rejection" Yes and Amen!
I'm so grateful that God has taught me so much about my value in Him!
I really needed this reminder today. Thank you for sharing it. :)
ReplyDeleteHolly, thanks for sharing. Strange as it is, I have the very opposite story. I've been tiny most of my life, and very attractive. Sadly, my value came from those features. I am now in my 40's and struggling with the effects of aging; and while I know who I am in Christ; I am tormented with the fears of rejection by not maintaining my tiny frame or my youthfulness.
ReplyDeleteI would say the years I spent maintaining my outside did little for my inside and now I seek a value that size, shape or appearance will never offer.
I enjoy your posts very much...
This is something most women struggle with, whether they admit it or not. Even the ones deemed "beautiful" or "pretty" most often don't feel beautiful or pretty enough, small enough or thin enough. It's a vicious cycle we put ourselves through.....you are so right when you speak of the freedom in who God says you are. It's the only place true freedom and contentment resides. It is in Him we find our true identity...our true worth, and TRUE beauty. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog today!
ReplyDeleteBlessings to you,
Jill @ Sweet Diva
Bless you for sharing. I have a tiny friend who has shared nearly the same thing with me and the same result of disordered eating developed in her life, too. Our stories, pain, misfit-ness God can use to speak truth into others' lives. You are significant and being significantly used!
ReplyDeleteAlyssa @alyssasantos.com
a beautiful blog from an equally beautiful woman. so well spoken, I wish all the younger generation could read this, It wouldl save much heartache. You are beautifully and wonderfully created, in His image both inside and outside. You have verballize what soooo many of us go through. Your blogs are ministering to many!!! love you
ReplyDeleteI love this: "That girl hidden inside of me; she wasn't made to fit in with the world. She was made to be set apart, as each of us are, for a purpose that glorifies Him."
ReplyDeleteI have to remind myself of this often. Thank you for helping me remember today.
Wow, this is such a beautiful heartfelt post that held a reminder that I needed to hear today.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing.
Misty
Set apart. Isn't that just beautiful? If God sets us apart, then we are surely special in His eyes. Sometimes we just need reminded of it -- like you did today!
ReplyDeleteBlessings,
Pamela
As you can see, you've touched a raw nerve. And what sweet fellowship there is here! :) It's like we're all just giving each other a knowing confidence and gaze. I loved hearing your heart about relationships in February and yes, I feel close to you know, sister in this issue as well. I just see your eyes and I can see beauty - your words say it all. Your heart, Dunlizzie! I see that girl set apart for God and you are BEAUTIFUL! I love hanging out here at your place!
ReplyDeleteI am living large lately! I am at my largest I think in all of my life. However, I feel pretty good about myself. I know I must exercise and eat better. Keeping excess weight off has been a constant struggle for me since I was a young child. But at the same time, I know God loves me as I am. Just hoping to be more like Christ in my lifestyle, too.
ReplyDeleteHolly you're a nice loving and beautiful woman and i know that this won't bother you again :D
ReplyDelete