I mention it today because as I was remembering my father, and though there is so much to tell about this man some other time, I was struck by one memory of game dad often played with us while he drove that vehicle. When mom wasn't occupying the passenger seat, my sister and I would pile in that space and whoever sat next to daddy would inevitably end up playing "catch the hand." In essence, my father would put out his non-driving hand palm-up and we would try to tap the center and pull back without him catching our hand. Then we'd switch. He might have said it was some speed challenge from some Bruce Lee flick, but for me it was a chance to just have fun with dad. The thing was, he always seemed to catch my hand and yet when we switched I couldn't seem to catch him. I just assumed I was too small, too slow. I didn't know his secret.
As the Bomber got older, the fabric covering the ceiling panel began to sag, making large upside down bubbles of baby blue felt that fell perfectly onto my tall father's head. One day he was so frustrated, he pulled the whole thing off in one complete sheet. The secret behind the puffy blue interior that had been my sister's and my sky when we lay back on those long journeys was revealed. The newly exposed moss colored foam coating was a real tangible thing. No longer a secret, it marked our hair with small bits of fuzz every time we got in or out of the car. Some bits were so small, they stuck like dust to our foreheads and arms, a visible reminder of where we had been.
As I got older, I learned that there was no speed magic in my father's hand either. His secret was just as tangible. I remember the day I saw the action for how it really was. I went to tap my father's palm, and I noticed that his hand was already reaching up toward mine, shortening the distance and assuring the capture and the giggles.
Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you.
--James 4:8a
Despite my father's human failings, as a child I simply knew him to be someone I wanted to be around. I felt safe when I was with him. It was in that security that I knew I was loved.
God the Father loves without failing and in Him we find ultimate security. It is out of this love and mercy that God is constantly drawing us toward Himself. So whether confident or nervous, when we take that step toward Him, we can be assured He has already closed the gap to receive us.
The story of the prodigal son tells us that while the son was still a long way off, the father saw him and came running, embracing him (Luke 15:11-32). Isn't this the nature of our God! Instead of a hand, He captures our heart; instead of giggles, He gives us a wellspring of joy. We become marked with the dust of His grace, evidence to those around us of where we have been. We have been with our Father.


We called our white station wagon “The Boat.”
ReplyDeleteI think you’ve captured one of the great traits about our earthly fathers and our Heavenly One:
“I felt safe when I was with him.”
Thanks for sharing.
"He has already closed the gap to receive us." That is beautiful imagery. Thank you!
ReplyDeleteIt's a beautiful memory of your dad - and you tell it beautifully.
ReplyDelete"I noticed that his hand was already reaching up toward mine, shortening the distance and assuring the capture and the giggles. "
ReplyDeleteOh, Dunlizzie. I have to be oh, so careful here... You have the ability to pull just the right heart strings! *bawl* :) ... Gosh, I never had this, but I feel this way about my Heavenly Abba! You just have me a story and a picture of what it would be like. Happy Father's Day, my beautiful writer friend!
Hi Dunlizzie,
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing a glimpse of memory. Your words provide a vivid image of the station wagon, the relationship between you and your sister, and the impact of a father's love for his daughter. I find it so wonderful that what some might see as a little game came to have meaningful significance to you because it was shared moments with your dad.
God also uses moments in our lives as well for the purpose of drawing us to Him. I call these tangible moments of joy.
Blessings and peace.
MTJ
You have such a sweet heart for God.
ReplyDeleteWhat a fun memory you have with your dad and sister.
ReplyDeleteBlessings,
Ginger
Love the thought that God's hand is reaching to shorten the distance. My Heavenly Father is someone I want to be around, too. Love His sweet presence!
ReplyDeleteBlessings,
Pamela
I love reminiscing and this is a lovely reminiscing story. Thank you for sharing your heart.
ReplyDeleteBlessings,
Charlotte