04 March 2011

The Rest of the Story

I started this story at the turn of the New Year when I began a four month detox/dietary program that would help bring healing to a major health concern.  I wrote about it here when I knew I was beginning a new story in TRUST.  In the process it has also became a story of REST.

I had been warned that the first month of this journey toward healing would be the most difficult, with symptoms getting worse before getting better.  In fact, this was the reason I planned to start at the New Year, after the busy holiday season.  I am blessed to be a part of a leadership team that not only allowed me to take time from many regular activities, but actually encouraged it.  REST, it seemed, was an absolute necessity.   At times I felt like I was somehow slacking.  I wanted to work through it, but my body had other plans.  No matter how much I thought I could will myself to be involved, my body refused and I was forced to give in to REST.

By February, I was already starting to feel alive again.  I was able to participate in more than I had in months and I knew God was working His healing in my body.  Since I was still not 100%, I had to pick and choose only the activities I felt God was calling me to do.  The process had given me permission to REST without guilt and simply follow God with the strength gained.

Often times, we can be so determined to serve that we sacrifice rest, running ourselves ragged in areas that we beg God to bless.  God however has a plan that He has already blessed, and being in Him is where He would rather have us. Lately in our prayer times at DCF, God has been speaking to us about the River of Life and  finding REST in His current.  When we follow in His flow, it won't matter what rocks may lie ahead.  We don't need to flail and we aren't being tossed around, rather we are being carried, moving in REST as it were.    

REST is a place where we have let go of that control 
and are letting God take us through His way.  

Bonnie over at Faith Barista said it well when she said,
"Rest comes when we are free to get lost in the doing 
because we trust that God is producing fruit in our being."

I have just begun the third month of my four month health program.  I am doing very well and am amazed at how far God has carried me in what seems to be a short amount of time.  In this time of REST, I have been forced to listen to my body without the distraction of my will, meaning I can more quickly tell when and how to REST.  I think it is like that God too.   The more time we spend in His REST, the more easily we can hear Him.  We are not so busy doing our own things, as noble as they may be, that they would distract or filter out the sound of His gentle whisper. He calls us to REST for a reason.  Let us not neglect it.  But let us find it in Him, the only place where true rest can be found (Psalm 62). 

FaithBarista_Rest2JamBadge

13 comments:

  1. Hi Dunlizie,

    Thank you for sharing your journey of renewed health. I was particularly blessed as I read these words:
    " When we follow in His flow, it won't matter what rocks may lie ahead. We don't need to flail and we aren't being tossed around, rather we are being carried, moving in REST as it were."

    Yes, the more time I spend in His REST, the more easily I can hear Him.

    Remain in the flow of His rest my friend.

    Blessings and peace.

    MTJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the visual of the river of life and just going with the flow...finding rest in God's current without resisting. Ahhh to often I find myself resisting. Hope your resting restores your health Dunlizzie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love what your wrote REST is a place where we have let go of that control
    and are letting God take us through His way. This is so true. I'm so glad that your feeling better.
    Blessings,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  4. rest...something I always had a hard time doing but now realize that's where my strength is. Thanks for this post and your open heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was walking outside yesterday and felt God telling me just to sit and rest. I fought that suggestion - I'm not tired, I have other things to do...but eventually I gave in. I sat and rested, both my body and my mind. It was wonderful. I need to do that more often. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad your plan is working for you. God knew we would need rest. Even God rested on the 7th day after he did all that creating. He even created a day for people to rest - the Sabbath Day, which has all but been forgotten in our busy hustle bustle world today.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praying for continual renewal in your health.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're so right about serving and rest. I know rest is an issue for so many, but I think those of us in ministry are prone to the lie that "It's better to burn out than to rust out." May your rest be perfect and your health return with vigor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Why is resting so hard for us to do? You're right, the more time we spend in his rest the more easily we can hear him.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope that you not only see the physical change in your body but the anointing in your words, your heart. Your obedience no doubt will bring blessings in so many areas of your life and your testimony of Gods strength and power is already blessing others who hear of HIS goodness!

    Praise HIM and bless you my friend! Sooo thankful for this Divine Friendship!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I ruined my heath in a "trying to do it all" ministry. It's a long way back, but you have chosen the good way -- rest. Isn't it wonderful that we can not only find rest in our bodies, but in our spiritual life, as well.

    Blessings on your continued journey,
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you are beginning to feel better and that you are with a group that understands your need for rest. The body does most of its recouperating when it is at rest. I feel certain that most of us need more of it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a powerful, insightful post that will help many. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

I review for BookSneeze