19 March 2011

Praying through Lent

We are a few weeks into Lent already.  Some people have set restrictions during this time to help them recognize the sacrifice that was made for us.  Others choose by themsleves something to give up, whether it be a bad behavior or just the daily cup of joe, for the same reason.  Looking through all my friends' Facebook statuses over the last few years, I have even seen some people actually pick up something new instead of dropping something in honor of the season.  These things are usually spiritually edifying things like daily Bible readings or acts of service for others.

Even now, mid-lenten season, I would challenge ye to consider doing both.  Sacrifice five minutes of your day and pick up prayer.  God loves it!  David sings in Psalm 141:2...

May my prayer be set before you like incense;
may the lifting up of my hands be like the evening sacrifice. 

I've written about 24-7 Prayer before, having attended the yearly gathering that brings folk from all over Europe together to pray for our continent and countries.  The account from last year's event is here.  For this Lent, the lads from 24-7 have put together Prayer Spaces, daily video podcasts for the 40 days of Lent.

Walk through the life of Jesus with daily inspiration from Pete Greig, Carla Harding, Etienne Piek and others.  From Ash Wednesday through Easter morning, you will be sure to enjoy these moments with God.  Let's pray together, shall we?

The podcast is free and is available through iTunes, Facebook and YouTube.  
Each video is also available at the 24-7 Prayer website.



6 comments:

  1. Hey! Thanks for the reminder. I never pray enough. And somehow I was in Africa when lent began and it kind of passed me by. You have some pretty awesome friends in Jinja. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Dunlizzie for the reminder...to pray...I don't do it nearly enough

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely idea! I like the idea of adding something during Lent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dunlizzie,

    What powerful statements in that video, "I want to know Christ...Jesus, teach us how to pray."

    Thank you my sister for sharing words of encouragement to pray. I like the approach of adding something as well during this season.

    I'm reminded of the words of Peter:
    "For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love." (2 Peter 1:5-7, NIV)

    Blessings and peace.

    MTJ

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great idea. Thank-you for this video that.They have wonderful prayers,and important ones as well.
    God Bless,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing these excellent ideas.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

I review for BookSneeze