06 February 2011

Expecting the Miraculous

Okay so this may be a bit of a stretch, but I am a product of the Star Wars generation and I couldn't resist.  Maybe someone used Jedi mind tricks on me...

So there's this little commercial that has been getting a lot of attention across the internet this week.  In case you haven't seen it yet, enjoy.



Cute, right? 

James 5 discusses how as believers we should pray, doing so with expectancy.  This is not a new concept for believers, so we press forward, believing for the impossible.  How easily though does our faith collapse when things don't happen as we believed?  In the process, many can put the blame either on the faith of the person or on God Himself, letting our unbelief change into a doctrine that denies the miracle-working ways of God.  Yet all this only causes us as believers to stop believing, and in turn stop praying, which is directly the opposite of what He commands in James.

I love how little Darth never gives up faith in the force, no matter how many times there has been no result.  It's frustrating for sure, but Lil' D keeps persevering.  When the impossible happens, there is shock and surprise, which is how we can be.  Kid Vader was shocked because he believed he did it out of his own will, which was afterall, unbelievable.  We however know that it is the father who does these great things.  Should we be so shocked that our Father could and would do the miraculous because of His love for us, when we know it is His nature?

Your ways, God, are holy.
   What god is as great as our God?
 
You are the God who performs miracles;
   you display your power among the peoples.
 
With your mighty arm you redeemed your people,
   the descendants of Jacob and Joseph. 
Psalm 77:13-15

Since we know it is God who does the miraculous, let us persevere in prayer.  Let us believe for miracles according to His will.  This is what Elijah did, and as James says, he was a man just like us  (5:17-18).  He prayed and believed and God did a miracle.  God has not changed.  May we not give up in our faith.  Maybe we won't always get the answers we want, but unlike Kid Vader, it isn't because our father isn't around.  His word says God is with us always (Matt 28) and we can trust that, letting it encourage us in our obedience.  Who knows, God just might surprise us all with a miracle that causes us to jump back in amazement. 

This post is linked with the lovely folk at

8 comments:

  1. Fabulous share!

    Have a beautiful week ~
    TTFN ~
    Hugs, Mardyon

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh i love this! thanks for sharing! i had seen the video, but expecting the miraculous is exactly what we as believers should be doing! instead we are often shocked when we experience it!

    ps. found your blog through erin. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post, I love it. What a cute commercial
    Blessings,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this commercial as well. I've been reading a book on hope that is challenging me to believe that I can be a hope reformer.
    Some quotes. True hope is God's view of the future. True hope is partnering with God's eternal plan of success for you and beginning to believe it for yourself. The choice to hope in God is more powerful and permanent than any of our current circumstances, or circumstances our imaginations can create for our future.
    Hope is a choice.
    I want to return to the hope as it is expressed in God breathed prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dunlizzie,

    I've been contemplating this same thought for several weeks (although I had not seen the Kid Vader commercial until yesterday), and something that really brought clarity to me was Mark 7:24-30, the Syrophoenician woman who came to Jesus to heal her daughter of an unclean spirit.

    What struk me is that when Jesus said, "..it is not good to take the children's bread and throw it to the dogs", it did not deter this woman. She didn't protest about being called a dog, but in humility said, "Yes Lord, but even the dogs under the table feed on the children's crumbs."

    What I came to realize is that it's not the size of God's response that matters, because any response from God to me contains all I need in answer to my prayers.

    As you say, "Since we know it is God who does the miraculous, let us persevere in prayer." -- Let us not give up in doing what's right and needed.

    Blessings and peace.

    MTJ

    ReplyDelete
  6. That commercial's adorable, and I love how you applied it! It is easy to get discouraged as we wait on the Lord. But it is so blessed to persevere. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is such a cute commercial. I love your commentary on it. Thank you for sharing.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great analogy! My wife showed me that commercial a couple of days ago. It never dawned on me that there was such a profound lesson to be found in it. Thanks, Dunlizzie!

    ReplyDelete

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

I review for BookSneeze