The week between St. Stephens Day and New Year's found me on the couch, incapacitated by the flu. Because of some health issues I have been facing in recent months, the New Year was marking the beginning of a strict three month detox program to allow my systems to heal and recover. In addition to being sick, I was a bit disappointed that my last week of dietary freedom was spent sucking down little more than chicken soup and lemon-ginger tea.
In the months before, I had been feeling very confident about what I sensed God doing in the New Year. I have been excited about the health He is restoring, the ministry He is expanding and the revival I sense He is bringing to this country. In that last week however, it seemed that for every cough, ache and sneeze there was a doubt or fear to accompany it. I had nightmares about visas, ministry obstacles and unanswered promises in my personal life. And I couldn't even eat chocolate.
The Exodus is full of stories of God's divine providence... Cloud by day, fire by night, mysterious manna kind of stuff. As one who has lived on the support of others for so long, I also have these stories directly from the miraculous hand of God: money that appeared from no where, help that came just in time, triumphant endings to seemingly impossible situations. Yet how many chapters begin with the Lord having to remind those same Israelites who walked under protection, who ate food from heaven, that He was indeed still God?
In this new chapter of my life, the the Lord is reminding me to TRUST.
On Saturday night, I was feeling so ill. I was trying to sleep, but couldn't with all the fears swirling around my head. I was feeling hopeless and weak, yet my mouth spoke a phrase my brain had not ordered. I said out loud, "But I trust You God." It was said with confidence and resolution, and I knew instantly it was true. As I heard my own voice, I was easily settled with a peace that defied my own understanding. It was in this peace that I was able to finally sleep.
God took the Israelites all the way to Canaan, a land flowing with milk and honey (and perhaps even chocolate, wink wink). Of one thing we can be sure, He is so very faithful. This year as you look ahead wondering what will come, remember this...
Trust in the LORD with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways submit to him,
and he will make your paths straight.
and he will make your paths straight.
Proverbs 3:4-5
He will not fail you and He will bring you peace. He will lead you on the path He has put before you and He will provide. He is faithful and merciful, and most of all, He loves you. Trust Him.
This post is linked with Bonnie and others at



thank you for reminding us all tht this walk of faith is all about trust. But this we do know, in whom we do trust, He is faithful even when we are not. He is able to do all. I love you and am praying for your recovery, my dear one. missing you. mom
ReplyDeleteTrust---so hard, but so necessary. I've been there---sicker than ever and only holding onto the fact of God's trustworthiness. May your trust continue to blossom in 2011.
ReplyDeleteLove reading your blog, I thank God that He uses us no matter what condition we are in :o) even though you are not well, you can still write in such a beautiful way that encourage everyone - in God alone we trust.
ReplyDeletewll keep you in our prayers
love you loads
Dear Dunlizzie,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your post very much. I felt I was a friend with whom you were writing a letter and sharing what was most precious to you. Esp. as you wrestle with health and things of the heart. Thank you for the special oppty to share the words of the year together - the first moments of the journey. I hope you will feel better soon, friend.
Remember last Sunday. He directs you steps.
ReplyDelete