The first child that I really bonded with at the orphanage in Jinja was a little boy called Joseph. I used to sing this one line to him from the Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat to him constantly, except I had changed the line from "Go, Go, Go Joseph, you know what they say" to "Jo, Jo, Jo, Joseph, you're doing okay." I remembered that this week as I read through the story of Joseph in Genesis while in this first week of the 90-Day Challenge.
While I am enjoying the discipline this challenge is creating in me, it doesn't allow a lot of time to process all that we are reading. I say we because I am joining in with the multitudes for accountability and encouragement over at Mom's Toolbox, the host of this challenge. It does however bring to my attention little things I had never noticed before, things I wouldn't see if I were only looking at smaller portions of text. I find myself pausing to ponder these new nuggets as well as the ones I'd been familiar with. Joseph gave me pause.
By chapter 40, Joseph had been thrown in jail on false charges. Enter Mr. Cupbearer and Mr. Baker. They both had dreams and Joseph interpreted them, asking one thing in return - upon the restoration of Mr. Cupbearer to his post, for Joseph to be remembered (v. 14).
How often do we think our answers for work situations, personal relationships and future potentials could be filled if only folk would "remember me" when these perfect opportunities seemed imminent in their paths? Quite a lot, to be bluntly honest. But in this season I know that God is not only bringing healing to my physical body, but to emotional wounds that stretch back so far I had forgotten they are even there, and yet have influenced my beliefs about both myself and God. I have many life experiences that have convinced me that in certain areas I am forgotten and overlooked.
All happened as Joseph had said, but Mr. Cupbearer did not remember him and Joseph remained in jail (v. 23).
I had to stop and wonder how Joseph felt. He had favor with the warden because God was with Him, so Jo, Jo, Jo, Joseph was doing okay. That didn't change the fact that he was still in jail. I know often no matter what great things God shows me or is doing in me, I can be easily distracted with perceived disappointments. Did Joseph feel like that? We don't know, as chapter 41 begins immediately after being forgotten, and two years have passed.
The amazing thing was that God had not forgotten. The time when the nations would need Joseph most was coming, and in that pivotal moment marked again by dreams, Mr. Cupbearer remembered. The dream was interpreted and Joseph was put into a position that would bring salvation and restoration even to his own family. Jo, Jo, Jo, Joseph it seems now, was indeed doing okay!
In just this week's reading alone there are at least seven times when it directly shows that God is a God who remembers. He remembers His promises. He remembers His people. He remembers us! His very nature tells us we are not forgotten. We are not overlooked. We are beloved and we are seen (Gen 16:13).
May you dwell in the peace that God sees you and has not forgotten you.
May you cast your broken hearts to Him so that He may restore His truth in you.
May you live in faith and trust that God will fulfill His purpose in you.
May you be blessed with favor in the process,
so that you will never forget He that never forgets ye.
Little Joseph still sings that line to his parents now, years later, a happy child adopted into a beautiful family. He knows he is loved and "he's doing okay"!



Wow, I love what you have gleaned from His word and shared with us here!
ReplyDelete(and yet another pointer to B90 - is it too late for me to join? Think I'd be too far behind?)
I'm visiting from iFellowship - I love your blog. It looks like you've had some really neat life experiences. I can't wait to learn more about you!
I'm visiting from iFellowship! I've wanted to do the B90 for sometime... how's it going? Please stop by and visit me at Open Book Girls or our ministry blog Our Family on Mission
ReplyDeleteIn Him,
anne :)
www.openbookgirls.com
www.ourfamilyonmission.com
I awarded you with the Stylish Blog Award! Hope you are having a wonderful week.
ReplyDeletehttp://avazoeg.blogspot.com/2011/01/stylish-blogger-award.html
another wonderful blog and message to us all. Thank you Lord that You do remember us . we are NOt frogotten, nor are His promises to us!!! love you Hol. mom
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for stopping by my corner!
ReplyDeleteAs ye have asked -- The B90 is great, especially at establishing discipline in reading. It may be too late to join an accountability group, but i am sure you could still participate. There is a schedule with check boxes to help you keep track personally of your reading on the site that you can download and print in order to do it yourself. Only you can decide if you can catch up by how fast you read, but we are only 11 days in so I think it would be totally doable. Today we reach the midpoint of Numbers. Perhaps you could read from the place that we are currently at so you could comment and check-in at the site along with everyone else, and then supplement it with the previous selections as you go until you are caught up. At the site there are also devotionals that go along with each reading. The site hosting it is http://www.momstoolbox.com/blog/
God bless and take care -- dunlizzie