I hoped my dad would keep it simple and tell me to just find something from the kitchen.
But... without even blinking, my dad would say, "Fix yourself a peanut butter sandwich."
Ugh.
In our family I was the only one who seemed to lament that red five gallon can of Peter Pan Extra Crunchy sitting on the top of the fridge. Between every day school lunches and regular snacks of the spread with crackers or celery, never 'creamy' mind you, I couldn't have imagined a more unpleasant prospect.
"But I don't want a peanut butter sandwich," I'd say back, hoping some mercy would provide another alternative. His response was always resolute.
"Then you're not really hungry."
A pastor friend once described hunger as one of those qualities that, if expressed in our lives, would undoubtedly open a door to experience the intensity of God's spirit in a profoundly deeper way.
It's something we sing about. It's something we pray for.
But sometimes I wonder if we knew what hunger truly meant,
would we really be...
are we really hungry?
So Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day. For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink. Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me, and I in him.
As the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so whoever feeds on me, he also will live because of me.
This is the bread that came down from heaven, not like the bread the fathers ate, and died. Whoever feeds on this bread will live forever.”
-- John 6:53-58
The disciples concluded that this was a hard word. It's hard even now. We want to tell people the meaning without saying the words. We grumble about what He said, how He said it, how we think it would be better... looking for a way we can be satisfied.
Many disciples that had journeyed with Him for so long left Him. The answer was not what they were hoping.
Many of us neglect going deeper, because the answer is not the one we want. It's not the sweet creamy treat we have in mind. It's not even an unappealing, but somehow more palatable smooth version of the only option. We cry out that we are hungry, but we choose to starve, even though a feast has been laid out before us.
Because the spread that really satisfies
involves suffering, brokenness and death.
Now as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and after blessing it broke it and gave it to the disciples, and said, “Take, eat; this is my body.”
And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he gave it to them, saying, “Drink of it, all of you, for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.
-- Matt 26:26-28
I imagine the twelve in the Upper Room that night. Lounging together, they would remember with unleavened bread and full cups of wine. They recalled the Exodus. They shared in a feast remembering the joy of deliverance with all the solemness of leaving everything behind.
When we partake of the bread and wine, we acknowledge the fullness of what it means to be broken. His body, broken... so we may live. His blood spilled... so we may be forgiven.
We are His body now. Are we hungry enough for His Kingdom come on earth as it is in Heaven to die to ourselves? To love without hesitation or reservation? To give of generously ourselves regardless of the cost? To leave everything behind?
Are we willing to be broken?
Sometimes I think we can be so frightened by the word "suffering" when we talk of "sharing in His sufferings" that we miss the biggest implication...
Sharing means we are with Him in it.
Let that sink in.
We are "with Him."
We are "with Him" in our suffering, brokenness, and death to ourselves. And because we are with Him, we also find comfort (2 Cor 1:5). We find hope. We find life.
There is no suffering bigger than Christ. There is no enemy stronger than Christ.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
-- Psalm 23:5
He has promised us a feast, and He has delivered. But that feast is His body... broken.
This is the feast laid before us. It is full with bitter herbs and maror. It brings about tears as well as laughter. But it is the one feast that brings true deliverance from all enemies.
It is the victory of His love.
Are we hungry enough to eat of it?
to not just nibble, but banquet upon it?
Am I? Are you?
I'm keeping it fresh and keeping it real with Bonnie and others over at Faith Barista.


I thought my mother was trying to kill me when I was 4 and she gave me a PBJ sandwich. I sat on the back stoop, tears just rolling down my face, PB stuck to the roof of my mouth. If I were hungry enough - I guess I would eat it - but I never want to face that kind of hunger. However, I have been broken enough to reach out to a loving Father. I see people I love wrestle with swallowing God's ideas - and it breaks my heart - but I am faithful He has the key, the solution - whatever it needs to make their hunger strong enough! Though I don't like PB (LOL) - I so enjoyed your message - and the challenge of it!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much. He is faithful, isn't He. That's the only way we would be able to let go, dive in and and feast! And while I'm still not crazy about PB in general these days (i had a reluctant lifetime's quota full), I can recognize it's goodness. Thanks for stopping by :)
DeleteReally loved this post. I have known suffering that seemed greater than my relationship with Jesus could handle. There can be a deception that comes along side of us that is like a shroud. We get confused and think the despair is from the suffering and that we don't have a choice. If I can hang on to Him and give Him my understanding then I can ask for wisdom to know He is using it. The joy for me is that the suffering is producing something. It isn't wasted or purposeless. Thankfully, PB&J sandwiches weren't part of my growing up.
ReplyDeleteThere is such wisdom in this comment. I want to shout it aloud to anyone who will listen! I think you are right. When we are in so much pain, it can become easy to believe the lies the enemy is whispering to us about us, our circumstances, and even God. But God knows the truth. He is with us. And yes, He can produce something lovely from the muck. "It isn't wasted or purposeless." How poignant. Love to you my friend.
Deletemay I be willing to be willing
ReplyDeletebroken for Him, in Him
surrendered
knowing only He can fill
the ache that gnaws
Amen! :)
Delete"We are His body now". It is so easy to forget this..we are his body, his hands...his voice! I used to love peanut butter! But don't recall it for snacks.
ReplyDeleteThanks Renee. And as for the PB, which was usually just PB and not PB&J mind you, well it was always present - at least it seemed to me - ha! My dad loved the PB crackers that came in packs of six and my mom would put it on celery stalks. Yeah! (she said sarcastically with a sigh of disdain...) Thanks for stopping by ;)
DeleteInsightful post, Dunlizzie. In recent years, God has not answered how I thought He should, in a way that makes sense to me, that answers my immediate need. He was calling me to go deeper as you say, to new layers of faith I did not know about, layers that could only be unpeeled when my theology was also broken. God does not neatly fit into my past experiences of how He answered, or what I have learned thus far. So many of us love to make life principles of what we have learnt, but I've been learning that God fits into no mold even as He created us with unique molds. This suffering is hard, really hard, but what transpires is as He says, an eternal glory that will not pass away. I love the way you write.
ReplyDeleteSita, You are right, it is so hard to not build "doctrines of disappointment" as I call them by trying to define God by our experiences instead of our looking to be defined by Him. No matter what we go through, when we surrender to Him in the process, He can bring about something glorious in us and from it. As my friend said in her comment above, it isn't left wasted. Just this weekend our pastor was challenging us, "Get the right perspective about who we are in His story rather than the wrong perspective of who He is in our story." And when we realized how God is love, literally, by definition... we find hope with that story. Thanks for your honest and vulnerable comment. It's so nice to have you here.
DeleteThis is very convicting. I am trying every day to abide with Him, but it can be very difficult. Am I truly hungry? In my suffering I was, but in good times it takes more of a conscious effort.
ReplyDeleteThat is such a great point, Melissa! It is easy to get comfortable and neglect the call to go deeper when things are going well. Yet all those things are just that, they could change in moment, that is why you are right... we must choose to be more intentional in those times to live in the reality that He is all we need. Thanks for stopping by today :)
Delete