16 January 2012

Sweet Reminders


Living away from home means discovering cravings for seemingly random things that you never think twice about when you are actually there visiting.  For example this Christmas, I was really missing my family.  I've had many Christmases away from home, but this one just felt different.  So when a friend asked what they could put in a special Christmas parcel for me, one thing came to mind almost immediately...

Now, I often ask for different gummy candies that I miss... things like Twizzlers -- original only, I'm a candy purist and Peach Rings -- the closest thing to a Haribo Pietzsche that can be gotten.  But this year, I had only one real gummy craving and it wasn't even something I ate often when I lived there.

Today I opened up a bag of memories disguised as Brach's Orange Slices.  These orange gumdrop type candies shaped like segments of orange are worth way more than the buck 99 dropped at the local grocery store.  Even just the look of them sets my mind spinning with thoughts of my family.  These were my father's favorite candy and he seemed to always have a bag sitting next to the driver's seat in his car, little sugary crystals sliding out of the bag with every turn.  Even though he's gone, I still always associate this candy with him.

And then there's the cake... particularly at Christmas time, there is only one cake my sister always begs (and I mean begs!) my mum to make.  My mum's variation on Southern Living's recipe of an Orange Slice Cake much like this one makes for a costly treat and so it's not one she makes often, but when we ask, er... I mean, beg, my mum will surely make it, and it's always amazing.  I can't think of this candy without seeing the interplay between my mum and sis, and of course smelling the spices from the cake as it bakes.

While I don't have any sentimental ties between my brothers and this candy, as we only met in adulthood, even now typing this a new connection is being made.  Because now in my life, when I think of family, these two brothers instantly pop into my mind and I long to see them just as badly.  So as I eat these little sweet bites, I'll also think of them.  They do afterall live in Florida, home of the best oranges.

So thank you, friend, for giving me a sweet reminder of my family to start off this new year.  And to my family... I love you.

2 comments:

  1. Yum...this looks really good, and I'm not a huge fan of orange slices.
    Then again we are on a 21 day fast for church and I am fasting sweets so maybe this has something to do with it. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dearest, I too am reminded of the sweet, persistent,pleading of two girls each Christmas making their case that Christmas would not be the same withoutvthat orange slice cake. The time and effort that went into creating the squeals of delight from their first bites of the "not yet cool cake" were my joyful reward in creating another Christmas memory......one I will cherish as you. Thanks for sharing...mum

    ReplyDelete

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

I review for BookSneeze